Saturday, July 10, 2010

Mel Fucking Gibson.

Read this...

And this.

Above are some links to the current story involving Mel Gibson.

I never really liked Mel Gibson all that much to begin with... his movies aren't my cup of tea and something about the Passion of the Christ really rubbed me the wrong way. Now, though, I think he's a real dick. Possibly a dangerous one.

Let's look at his choice phrasing:

"You look like a f***ing bitch in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of n***ers, it will be your fault."

"I am going to come and burn the f**king house down, but you will blow me first."

...And what really grates my cheese, is this: "We can't represent a guy who used the N-word," the agency's director, Ari Emanuel, said in an email to a business partner, according to the Hollywood blog Deadline.com. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7883011/Mel-Gibson-fights-to-save-career-after-racially-charged-rant.html)

Don't get me wrong - I'm overjoyed that they've decided not to represent him any longer.

But pardon me, does anyone see anything wrong with this picture?

This guy has just launched a violent verbal assault against his wife, threatened to sexually assault her and then set her house on fire, and suggested that she deserves to be violently gang-raped, and his agency decided to drop him for the SOLE REASON that he said the N word??

Don't get me wrong - the "n-word" is horrendous, and no he absolutely shouldn't have said it, and he's a GIANT racist... but I'd suggest that perhaps his violent misogyny should have been an aggrivating factor as well when his agency was deciding whether or not to continue to represent him. In fact, I read in other reports that he punched Oksana in the mouth, knocking out some of her teeth. I'm astounded that a good portion of the articles I've read have painted him only as a racist.

Not to mention the fact that if we do want to talk about how he's a racist, why don't we look at the context in which he used the word rather than just the word itself. He's suggested that somehow being raped by black men is worse than being raped by white men (or, I suppose, any other race) and, in fact, that black men are more likely to be the ones doing the raping. He's painted them as primitive, out of control, irrational and volatile... and to add insult to injury, yes, called them 'niggers'.

I get that the N word is an incredibly offensive term - but I'm shocked that the cultural sterotype that Mel Gibson is perpetuating when he suggests that black men are more likely to be rapists has been ignored here. Or the fact that Mel Gibson just referred to a group of black people as a 'pack' in what can only be interpreted as an animal reference. Or the fact that he's shared the enormously misogynist opinion that a woman can be responsible for her own rape.(She can't. Ever. No matter how many breast implants, no matter how short her skirt, how many previous partners, how many beers, what her job is.)

Either way. Fuck Mel Gibson. Ask me if I'll ever watch anything with him (or his voice - I'm looking at you, Pocahontas) in it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment